Nestled in the Himalayas in the state of Arunachal Pradesh, Tawang is called hidden paradise. It is still cut off from the rest of the world due to poor communication and climatic conditions. Though the people are humble, simple and devotional, they are economically poor and therefore lack the basic needs like health and education facilities. It was started on Buddha Purnima of 2008.
By the blessings of Venerable Acharya Buddharakkhita the Mahabodhi Centre Tawang was started in a 4 acre plot and now it has been extended to 6 acres in the village called Teli which is about 10 kms from the main town of Tawang.
Activities run at present
- Daily chanting and meditation sessions,
- Conducting free medical camps in the remote villages,
- Conducting Dhamma and meditation programs in schools,
- Distributing medicine and cloths for poor in the villages,
- Every Sunday Dhamma programs Yoga for good health
- Reconciliation meetings between the elderly and their own children and their grandchildren to create a true parent-child relationship so that broken relations are re-united
- Organizing transportation for old people in remote village to participate in the local religious festivals as elders are usually denied such chances since they are living in remote areas and such activities will make them feel part of the society.
- Special classes for children
Our Future plans
To provide free ambulance service in the remote villages
To extend the hostel
To start a school
To build a temple and meditation centre
To start a medical centre for poor people